problems with AWT programs

Has anyone else run into problems typing in user input into Java AWT
programs?  Any Text Fields just don't seem to respond at all to keyboard
input.  I had this problem when installing RealPlayer, and thought it
was just something wrong with that program in particular.  But I just
downloaded an AWT based program from Sourceforge and noticed the same
problem.
I have the same problem in WindowMaker and KDE, so I don't think it is a
Window Manager issue.  I believe all of the programs have been compiled
with Sun's jdk (don't know which versions).
Anybody seen this?  Any workarounds or solutions?  Other than not
running AWT programs, that is.

Thanks,

Jonathan