Re: problems with AWT programs

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 03:12:19PM -0800, Jonathan Ard wrote:

> Has anyone else run into problems typing in user input into Java AWT
> programs?  Any Text Fields just don't seem to respond at all to keyboard
> input.  I had this problem when installing RealPlayer, and thought it
> was just something wrong with that program in particular.  But I just
> downloaded an AWT based program from Sourceforge and noticed the same
> problem.
> I have the same problem in WindowMaker and KDE, so I don't think it is a
> Window Manager issue.  I believe all of the programs have been compiled
> with Sun's jdk (don't know which versions).
> Anybody seen this?  Any workarounds or solutions?  Other than not
> running AWT programs, that is.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan

I had similar problems with programs I'd written myself about
a year ago.  Keyboard input worked until I moved off the screen
and returned, or iconified/deiconified.

This happened after I'd changed from Suns's jdk (where as far
as I remembered things had worked) to Jikes(compiler)/Kaffe(jvm).

IIRC the only solution I found was to include a "requestFocus()"
at overkill intervals in the program, but that won't help you
if you're running someone else's stuff.

I mentioned the problem on this list, but got no reply.  I think
it's a problem in the jvm you're using.

David