Re: Fetchmail INIT script

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:18:57PM -0000, Charlie Grosvenor wrote:
> Hi
>     I am trying to use the fetchmail init script that comes with the
> fetchmail debian package. Whenever i try and start the script i get:
>
> debian:/etc/init.d# ./fetchmail start
> Starting mail retrieval agent: fetchmail (failed!)
>
> but if it run:
>
> ./fetchmail debug-run
>
> it works fine. Why could this be?
>
> Thankyou
>
> Charlie

You have a missing /etc/fetchmailrc or it has syntax errors in it.

>From /usr/share/doc/fetchmail/README.Debian.gz:
"
The fetchmail-common package install a SysV initscript in /etc/init.d/
fetchmail. This script will start a fetchmail daemon running either as root
(dangerous!) or as the user fetchmail, if the configuration file
/etc/fetchmailrc is present in the system. If the configuration file is not
present, nothing is started.

The initscript is configured by the /etc/default/fetchmail file.

If the system-wide fetchmail refuses to start, you probably have syntax errors
in the /etc/fetchmailrc file.  Try /etc/init.d/fetchmail debug-run  to find out
why it is not starting.  Do notice that debug-run is NOT capable of detecting
errors that happen only in daemon mode.
"