Re: apt-get build-deps <package> or -b switch

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> ISTR that currently, configure is passed a --without-ungif (or
> whatever the exact syntax is) as the current libungif in woody or sid
> crashes when linked against emacs.  Look in the debian/rules file
> under the emacs source dir for the explanation.

Ahhaa.. now I know why my built from emacs source 21.1.95 wouldn't run
in console mode... maybe.  I went to some length to get libungif4-dev
installed, and got a `yes' at that point in configure output.

All this is history now (about that build of 21.2.95)since I
reinstalled last night/this morning due to other problems that
have mounted up.  I don't have anything really important on it yet.

If you look at the rest of this thread.  The recent parts.  It kind of
chronicles a series of problems with building from source, I mean the
apt-get -b source way.  That continues even though I went back to
tasksel and selected all devel stuff hoping that was my problem.  Just
now an `apt-get -b source vim'  failed.

Its a little confusing since apt-get is supposed to be getting all
dependancy stuff.  It looks like it is too, but then it fails.

dpkg-source: extracting vim in vim-6.0.226
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is vim
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 6.0.226-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libgpmg1-dev
dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.
dpkg-buildpackage: (Use -d flag to override.)
Build command 'cd vim-6.0.226 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.
E: Child process failed