Re: apt-get build-deps <package> or -b switch

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com> writes:

> On 07-Mar-2002 Harry Putnam wrote:
>> How can I capture the output of ./configure and make during a source
>> build with apt-get -b source <package>
>>
>> I think there might be a small bug in the building of emacs21 that
>> way.  The info flew by so quick but I noticed a `no' during
>> ./configure that I think was prompted by a missing library
>> `libungif4-dev'.
>>
>> I think that was supposed to be grabbed with
>>   apt-get build-deps emacs21
>> But it wasn't maybe.  I'd like to rerun the ./configure  and trace it
>> down.
>>

> a) use 'script'.  Just type 'script' at a prompt.  You will be given back your
> prompt.  Everything you type will be saved to a file and can be viewed later.

I know about script, but that is really a clunky way to do it.  And
then you need to clean up all those control characters before you can
really read it.  I tried `apt-get command  |tee file' but it cuts of as
soon as things go online.

  Reading Package Lists...
  Building Dependency Tree...
  dpkg-buildpackage: source package is vim
  dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 6.0.226-1
  dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org>
  dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
  Need to get 4300kB of source archives.
[nothing beyond here]

But you'll see in another post, I wasn't aware the source packages had
been dumped at my feet.  So of course just step in and ./configure
again.

> b) once apt has downloaded the source, you should be able to enter the
> directory and do it by hand.  The command you likely want is 'dpkg-buildpackage
> -rfakeroot -us -uc'.  Make sure you have the package 'fakeroot' installed.

Ahhh here is the rub.  dpkg -l doesn't know about fakeroot.  I think
this may be the result of not making any choices in tasksel's devel
section during install.

But trying an apt-get -b source vim after installing fakeroot still
fails.

I'm backing up and rerunning tasksel .. checking all the devel options...