Re: chkconfig is to redhat as ___ is to debian?

Neil Darlow wrote:

> On 3/7/02, 12:42:05 PM, Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:
>
> > How is creating the symlinks yourself any less clean than using a
> > program to create the symlinks "automatically?"  I think this is mostly
> > a difference of opinion.
>
> Simply, that by using update-rc.d no knowledge of the directory structure
> of /etc/rcN.d or /etc/init.d is required. The utility also makes
> acceptable
> assumptions depending on how much command line information is provided.

Sorry, but I concur with this.  Most of programming is defining some
kind of
interface to something else, and a valuable thing to do is to use the
highest reasonable level of abstraction to simplify the task.  If you
show a specific value to doing the symlinks by hand for a specific
circumstance it may be a good idea, but I think it's a bad generalized
idea.  In addition to this it's valuable to have a good vocabulary grasp
of the tools that your peers are using as a standard.

Best wishes.  Sincerely, Xeno