RE: chkconfig is to redhat as ___ is to debian?

How is creating the symlinks yourself any less clean than using a
program to create the symlinks "automatically?"  I think this is mostly
a difference of opinion.

When I want to add a service, I simply cd to /etc/rc2.d, and run:
ln -s ../init.d/service S20service

Quite simple really.  If I need it in any other services, I configure it
there as well.  I may also have to create a K symlink if I need the
service stopped when changing runlevels however.