Re: configuring ext3 (was Re: new twist on shutting down and restricting ssh users)

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:14:03PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 08:27:11PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> | > |
> | > |

> | > :-).  I was thinking that a journaled fs would be a really good idea,
> | > but I don't want to change it just hours before I leave in case there
> | > is some issue with it.  ("some issue" mainly being PEBKAC
> | > misconfiguration somewhere, but if I'm not around to fix it ...)
> |
> | ext3 is probably a good idea if you aren't going to be around in case
> | there is a power outage or someone trips over the power cord.  I use
> | etx3 on all my boxes running 2.4.17 and haven't (yet) experienced any
> | problems (now I wait for all the replies saying "ext3 is B0rken on
> | 2.4.17!!1!" :)
>
> I've got 2.4.17 on all my systems.  (2.4.18 is out now, but not
> packaged last I checked)  Are there any tricks or gotchas to setting
> it up?  Here's what I know (I did include support in the kernel) :
>     o   /etc/fstab -- s/ext2/ext3/
>     o   make the journal file (using 'tunefs'?)
>
> The only thing I'm concerned about is trying to set up a new feature,
> but not setting it up correctly and not being around to fix the setup.

Oh, I understand your reluctance ... especially if you're leaving RSN.

I converted a system a few months ago, and another Sunday night.
Basically you "tune2fs -j /dev/whatever", change "ext2" to "ext3" in
/etc/fstab as you mentioned, and then reboot.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the partitions have to be
unmounted when you "tune2fs" them; my unix intuition says they do. but
then what about the root filesystem? (I run many partitions on most of
my machines).

Sunday I decided to risk it and ran tune2fs on the mounted root fs ...
added a journal and a label (those are cool, especially if you do
devfs!).  So far, it seems to work.  mount uses the label and says the
root fs (and all the others) are ext3.  However, I can see a .journal
file in / and I don't see those in the root of the other filesystems
so I may have hosed that part.

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.