Re: configuring ext3 (was Re: new twist on shutting down and restricting ssh users)

on Wed, Mar 06, 2002, Nathan E Norman (nnorman@micromuse.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:14:03PM -0500, dman wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 08:27:11PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:

<...>

> > The only thing I'm concerned about is trying to set up a new feature,
> > but not setting it up correctly and not being around to fix the setup.

<...>

> I converted a system a few months ago, and another Sunday night.
> Basically you "tune2fs -j /dev/whatever", change "ext2" to "ext3" in
> /etc/fstab as you mentioned, and then reboot.

Other tune2fs options which are good to apply include '-c 0', and '-i
0', to disable fsck checks after mount counts or last interval is
exceeded (then again, maybe running an fsck once or twice a year isn't a
bad thing).   You might also look at setting either an '-m' or '-r'
option (reserved blocks) for very large partitions.

Peace.