Small bug in dh-make-perl? [was dh-make-perl]

> When I ran that command a hefty perl.tar.gz was downloaded with out me
> asking for it.  After it was unpacked I get this message:
> [...] snipped massive list of unpacked files
> perl-5.6.1/x2p/walk.c
> perl-5.6.1/xsutils.c
> Cannot open /usr/local/cpan/build/perl-5.6.1/Makefile.PL
> ls /usr/local/cpan/build/perl-5.6.1/M* shows that sure enough its not
> there.  But there is a /usr/local/cpan/build/perl-5.6.1/Makefile.SH
>
> It looks suspiciously like thats what need to be run but before doing so
> I wanted to see if any one knew what the deal was with this.

This is beginning to look like a small bug.  Here is why:

Calling this command: dh-make-perl --cpan Getopt::Std
>From the cpan directory explained in previous post.  Ends in the error
mentioned:

   [...] snipped massive list that gets scanned
   perl-5.6.1/x2p/walk.c
   perl-5.6.1/xsutils.c
   Removing previously used /usr/local/cpan/build/perl-5.6.1
   Cannot open /usr/local/cpan/build/perl-5.6.1/Makefile.PL

Now invoking the CPAN shell directly:
   perl -MCPAN -e shell
then
   install Getopt::Std
Does the same thing but installs it with no errors.

So apparently the dh-make-perl overlay is causing this error some how.

I need some of the perl modules installed right now for a school
project so am installing them directly with the CPAN shell, until I
figure out if its my local technique that is the problem.

I wonder if doing this without dh-make-perl, sort of behind debians
back, will cause me some grief in some way later?