dh-make-perl

What is the trick to running dh-make-perl so that it works:

Here I said mkdir /usr/local/cpan
cd there and said dh-make-perl --cpan File::Find

Now the manpage gives this syntax:
dh-make-perl [module_source_dir|--cpan module]
Is there special meaning to  [module_source_dir|
Am I supposed to be a specific directory?

I looked at the files installed for perl-base with dpkg -L
and none of the directories look any more a module_source_dir
than any other.

I guess it just means where ever I decide to build things so that was
/usr/local/cpan

When I ran that command a hefty perl.tar.gz was downloaded with out me
asking for it.  After it was unpacked I get this message:
[...] snipped massive list of unpacked files
perl-5.6.1/x2p/walk.c
perl-5.6.1/xsutils.c
Cannot open /usr/local/cpan/build/perl-5.6.1/Makefile.PL
ls /usr/local/cpan/build/perl-5.6.1/M* shows that sure enough its not
there.  But there is a /usr/local/cpan/build/perl-5.6.1/Makefile.SH

It looks suspiciously like thats what need to be run but before doing so
I wanted to see if any one knew what the deal was with this.