Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 01:27, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> From: Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back
> Date: 02 Mar 2002 23:59:21 +0100
>
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 07:25:51PM +0000, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > Don't want to nit-pick, but it seems worth clarifying, given the
> > confusion this often causes...
> >
> > > From: Matijs van Zuijlen <Matijs.van.Zuijlen@xs4all.nl>
> > > KDE and Gnome are no window managers. They are session managers.
> >
> > No, they're not.  KDE is an integrated window manager & more -- what the
> > KDE team and others refer to as a Desktop Environment (hence kDE).  Both
> > projects include session managers, but are not limited to that.  GNOME
> > doesn't have a window manager as such, although there are lots of window
> > managers that are compatible with GNOME.  GNOME is essentially a Desktop
> > Environment too, but I'm not sure they'd define the project that way.
> >

> Do want to nit-pick :-)
>
> Yes they are, from the point of view of Debians X architecture, which
> does not recognize the "Desktop Environment" concept.
>
> ~>apt-cache show gnome-session | grep Provides
> Provides: x-session-manager
> ~>apt-cache show kdebase | grep Provides
> Provides: x-session-manager

This is the kind of confusion I was talking about.  It makes perfect
sense that gnome-session would provide x-session-manager.  gnome-session
is *not* GNOME, however, neither is kdebase KDE.

Since, as I've said, GNOME includes a session manager, then you would
expect to find a GNOME package which provides session-manager, but
that's not what I'm discussing.

> See also the thread that started with this message:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2000/debian-devel-200012/msg01821.html

To quote from that

>>"Branden has agreed to update /etc/X11/Xsession to try to exec
>>x-session-manager before x-window-manager."
>>>What is the problem with registering gnome-session and
>>>kde-session as x-window-manager?

This backs up the issue as you seem to understand it, but as I say,
there has been a misunderstanding.

--
Lee Braiden,
Artelos.com