Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

okay, with no other context than what's below, i can see a
communication breakdown:

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 11:59:21PM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 07:25:51PM +0000, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > Don't want to nit-pick, but it seems worth clarifying, given the
> > confusion this often causes...
> >
> > > From: Matijs van Zuijlen <Matijs.van.Zuijlen@xs4all.nl>
> > > KDE and Gnome are no window managers. They are session managers.
> >
> > No, they're not.  KDE is an integrated window manager & more -- what the
> > KDE team and others refer to as a Desktop Environment (hence kDE).  Both
> > projects include session managers, but are not limited to that.  GNOME
> > doesn't have a window manager as such, although there are lots of window
> > managers that are compatible with GNOME.  GNOME is essentially a Desktop
> > Environment too, but I'm not sure they'd define the project that way.
>
> Yes they are, from the point of view of Debians X architecture, which
> does not recognize the "Desktop Environment" concept.
>
> ~>apt-cache show gnome-session | grep Provides
> Provides: x-session-manager
> ~>apt-cache show kdebase | grep Provides
> Provides: x-session-manager

both of those packages (gnome-session and kdebase) PROVIDE
x-session-manager's. just as Lee said, above:

> > Both
> > projects include session managers, but are not limited to that.

"INCLUDE", not "ARE". nit-pick, indeed. :)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2 and american english v1.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #71 from Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx>
:
So exactly WHICH SHELL ARE YOU RUNNING? Simply try
	echo $SHELL
or
	printenv SHELL
AFAIK any shell that does not set $SHELL is broken.