Re: really stuffed up news system!!!!!!!

Glyn & Carel, hi,

The day stared off nicely with double-vision on the screen, changed
the cmos date and we are back to normal, some germ or virus hidden
away somewhere in the dos part!

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:27:24AM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:

when do you sleep, Carel?

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:49:04PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:41:42AM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:

late again, nogal!

> > and another daily email from the same source saying
> >
> > /usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily: /usr/lib/news/bin/innconfval: No such
> > file or
> > +directory
> > touch: /doex3331: Permission denied
> > chmod: /doex3331: No such file or directory
> > /usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily: /doex3331: Permission denied
>
> looks like inn leftovers.

Yes. I found some inn2 with deselect and removed same.

Then ....

hephaestus:~# /usr/sbin/fetchnews -vv
lockfile /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck exists, abort ...
hephaestus:~# /usr/sbin/fetchnews -vv
Removing stale lockfile.
1.9.9: verbosity level is 2
Trying to connect to news.saix.net ... connected.
Getting new newsgroups from news.saix.net
Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.saix.net
Disconnected from news.saix.net.

Then....

hephaestus:~# dpkg -l *inn

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
pn  inewsinn       <none>         (no description available)
rn  inn            <none>         (no description available)

Then...

hephaestus:~# dpkg -S innconfval
dpkg: *innconfval* not found.

so assume inn is out

Then into slrn but still no newsgroups

> met plezier, altijd bereid een taalgenoot:) te helpen

Well, I did learn my Afrikaans off the back of beancans, but I think
that you meant,

met plesier, altyd bereid een taalgenoot om te help (but I will
check with my girlfriend this afternoon when we braai. :)

I note local university has department afrikkaans en nederlands and
some of the books (i sell them in my shop) are from Holland.
www.imaginet.co.za/fables  if you are interested.

grootjes, Ian

--
Ian Balchin