Re: really stuffed up news system!!!!!!!

Carel, hi,

comments below, thanks for the help.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:41:42AM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:28:48PM +0200, bounce-debian-user=cfelling=iae.nl@lists.debian.org wrote:
> ..
> > Now I have really stuffed up my news system. :(
>
> Haven't we all sometime:)
>
> > Iniatially my potatoe box had the dialup utilities selected by
> > tasksel all installed.  But there seemed to be no news reader.
> > 5.   When I noticed that fetchmail was running and that this was part
> >      of the leafnode setup i used dselect and removed them.
>
> Fetchmail's job is to get mail from your IPS to your local machine, it
> has no connection with news, or leafnode.  So how did you notice it was
> part of the leafnode setup?

um, er, um .... did I see fetchnews?

> > 6.   When things still did not function correctly I removed slrn and
> >      slrnpull and reinstalled them (years of M$ conditioning asserting
> >      itself there)
>
> When things don't work it's usely due to some misconfiguration. That is
> something wrong in one of the config files in /etc.  But you reinstalled
> them, so they are installed now?  No errors there?  No pending config's

nothing pending. not a fundi with dselect, but managing

slrn is installed (*)
slrnpull is not installed (-)
leafnode is installed (*)

> or what have you?  You know how to use dselect?  If so have a look
> and tell us the status of those packages.
>

> > It wants rnews, and this is nowhere to be found on the machine
> > except in /usr/lib/ , nor can I find it in dselect.

this was after I put leafnode back. I get a hourly email from Cron
Daemon telling me

/bin/sh: rnews: command not found

and another daily email from the same source saying

/usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily: /usr/lib/news/bin/innconfval: No such
file or
+directory
touch: /doex3331: Permission denied
chmod: /doex3331: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily: /doex3331: Permission denied

> slrnpull shouldn't need rnews, so what's the deal?
> What program is requesting it?
>
> > What I first need to do is to ensure that I have everything on board
> > that I should have, and I suppose that means rnews.
>
> No, I don't think rnews is needed.
>
> > Running tasksel again merely tells me that I have the latest version
> > of the dialup package installed, so it isn't going to fill in the
>
> I don't now about tasksel, never used it, but it's possible to get
> a list of all packages a task depends on.

how can i do that?

Write them down, start
> dselect and select them individually.  Or use `apt-get install'.
>

> > blanks. I don't want to remove the dialup package and start again as
> > that would break the email connection.
>
> No need to do that.

not going to

> groetjes, carel