Re: Several packages fail to install, exit status 10

On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 05:49, Kent West wrote:
> Having gotten no response on the posting below, I'll just ask if anyone
> can tell me how to find out what an "error exist status [number]" is.

> > Removing xdm ...
> > dpkg: error processing xdm (--purge):
> >  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 10

The exit status is a number returned by a program as a short indication
of whether it succeeded (0) or failed (non-zero).

The problem you are having is in a script called
/var/lib/dpkg/info/xdm.prerm - this is the pre-removal script for xdm.

This is the removal script; it is not going to be cured by a new
package, since you aren't installing any new package

Now, I have no idea what the particular error may be.  This is how to
find out (all actions need root privilege):

Edit the script file and insert "set -x" as the second line.

# dpkg --purge xdm

As each line in the script is executed, it will be printed with + in
front of it.  Take a look at what happens just before the script exits
(with an error) and cure it.

.

     "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one
      another, even as I have loved you."
                                        John 13:34