Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

Don't want to nit-pick, but it seems worth clarifying, given the
confusion this often causes...

> From: Matijs van Zuijlen <Matijs.van.Zuijlen@xs4all.nl>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back
> Date: 02 Mar 2002 13:25:45 +0100
>
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 03:29:00AM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Mark Zimmerman <mark@foresthaven.com> writes:
> > > One (of several) ways to do this is (as root):
> > > update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
> > > [...]
> >
> > That doesn't seem to do the job here.  Running that command gives me
> > two choices twm and sawfish.  No mention of kde or gnome.  Both of
> > which are installed.
> >

> KDE and Gnome are no window managers. They are session managers.

No, they're not.  KDE is an integrated window manager & more -- what the
KDE team and others refer to as a Desktop Environment (hence kDE).  Both
projects include session managers, but are not limited to that.  GNOME
doesn't have a window manager as such, although there are lots of window
managers that are compatible with GNOME.  GNOME is essentially a Desktop
Environment too, but I'm not sure they'd define the project that way.

> You
> need to run
>
> update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

But yes, that will do what's required.

--
Lee Braiden,
Artelos.com