Re: Java not working in Galeon/Mozilla

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 10:05:58PM +0000, Patrick Kirk wrote:

| > other than removing and reinstalling some packages or trying a
| > different libc version.  Binary-only software distribution really
| > sucks!
|
| What ? Does this mean I need to reboot into Windows to run Java apps?

It's probably an issue with the browser, the plugin, the JVM and/or
the libc combined together as they are.

| Please say not - my wife's laptop has died.  The icq is for her.  So far
| over the past week, she has moved from her Windows laptop to my XFCE
| desktop with no comments or complaints.  But if I can't get her ICQ
| working, then we're regressing instead of advancing.

Have you tried Everybuddy or Gaim for ICQ?  There's a bunch of ICQ
clients out there.

| Surely there is some other Linux jvm that doesn't die upon contact with
| Java?

There are other JVMs (such as 'kaffe' or 'gcj') but they aren't as
complete or up-to-date as the Sun/Blackdown one.

I've attached the source and bytecode for a "hello world" program.
Save the .class file somewhere and try "java Hello" in the directory
you saved it.  In addition, if you want, you can try compiling from
the source yourself.  (the command is "javac Hello.java", same command
to run it)

If this works, then you know the basics of the jvm work.  If this
fails, you've got bigger problems.  (FWIW I use the 'j2sdk1.3' package
daily at work for java development)

| Patrick "Write one run anywhere else but not on my browser" Kirk

:-).

It's more like "write once, test everywhere you can, go back and
rewrite it to work on the other platforms, then test again, then shoot
yourself because it is virtually impossible to add the next feature in
a cross-platform manner".  (that's how I've paid the bills this past
year)

-D

--

The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.

public class Hello
{
    public static void main( String[] argv )
    {
        System.out.println( "Hello World" ) ;
    }
}