Re: modem/pppd troubles

also sprach Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net> [2002.03.01.2308 +0100]:
> 1) Why do not you try to create a kernel for the desktop with
> CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY = m?

but why? ppp_sync is not loaded on the laptop, and it's not needed for
pppd/modem communication, which is asynchronous.

> 2) Can you dial with minicom to your provider and stay connected until
> your provider disconnect you? Actually, what are the differences when
> trying to dial from within minicom to your provider with the laptop and
> the desktop?

yes, i can dial in, but i get disconnected after about 30 seconds,
which is (i guess) because my provider isn't picking up my part of
a ppp conversation (which, of course, i am not sending either).

this strikes me as legitimate behaviour. and do not forget: the
external modem works just fine when serially connected to the laptop.

> 3) What about the differences in the ppp, chat and setserial between
> the desktop and the laptop?

there are no differences.

> 4) Have you tried the PPP-HOWTO?

of course. no info there.

thanks for your time in any case!

"education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time
 to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
                                                        -- oscar wilde