Re: Enough time wasted, moving on

dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:

[...]

> | > A couple of posters have mentioned a network install.  Where are the
> | > details spelled out?
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install

I read that over a bit before asking the above question.  I'll admit I
didn't read all of it word for word but the section entitled:
   Installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 For Intel x86
   Chapter 5 Methods for Installing Debian
Seemed like it would be the place, but it doesn't really deal with
networking in any way other than NFS.

Not to be a total PITA here, but can you point out some detailed
description of how this is done there?

Its no longer an urgent thing, so no need to bother really but I think
it really isn't covered well and probably not a good place to point
someone who needs to know how its done.

> | > Are we talking installing from a running machine?
>
> Nope.
>
> | > Already network enabled?
>
> Depends on your definition of "enabled".  If there's no network
> wiring, then you can't do a "network install".  You must have a NIC
> and a Cat[35] cable or a modem and it must be connected to a working
> network.  The machine itself might not even have any software on it.

I pointed out in some previous posts that my NIC was not being found
and that my attempts to install some of the various drivers at the
screen where you select modules and such were rejected.  So with no
working nic, we could safely say the machine is not network enabled.

This is all something of a moot point now since someone told me the
driver I needed and it installed ok.  My forty dollar disks were good
enough to get the base system, then of course with a network, the
skies the limit.  I pulled down the rest in record time and got a good
taste of the power of apt-get.

My point earlier was that without a network enabled machine all bets
are off.