Re: Enough time wasted, moving on

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 05:52:51PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
| dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:
|
| [...]
| >
| > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install
|
| I read that over a bit before asking the above question.  I'll admit I
| didn't read all of it word for word but the section entitled:
|    Installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 For Intel x86
|    Chapter 5 Methods for Installing Debian
| Seemed like it would be the place, but it doesn't really deal with
| networking in any way other than NFS.
|
| Not to be a total PITA here, but can you point out some detailed
| description of how this is done there?

Sure.  As I look it over again (it's been a while since I read it),
the first sentence of Chapter 5 is :

    You can install Debian from a variety of sources, both local (CD,
    hard disk, floppies) and remote (FTP, NFS, PPP, HTTP).

Note the FTP and HTTP.  Those are what you would want.

| Its no longer an urgent thing, so no need to bother really but I think
| it really isn't covered well and probably not a good place to point
| someone who needs to know how its done.

| > Nope.

| > Depends on your definition of "enabled".  If there's no network
| > wiring, then you can't do a "network install".  You must have a NIC
| > and a Cat[35] cable or a modem and it must be connected to a working
| > network.  The machine itself might not even have any software on it.
|
| I pointed out in some previous posts that my NIC was not being found

Right, Debian doesn't do autoprobing.

| and that my attempts to install some of the various drivers at the
| screen where you select modules and such were rejected.

I think it is a Good Thing that the wrong drivers were rejected :-).
Of course, it is even better when you know what the right one is.

| So with no working nic, we could safely say the machine is not
| network enabled.

What I intended to point out was that you don't need a system already
running on the machine with networking setup in order to install
debian.  I guess the best term for what is needed is "network ready".

| This is all something of a moot point now since someone told me the
| driver I needed and it installed ok.  My forty dollar disks were good
| enough to get the base system, then of course with a network, the
| skies the limit.  I pulled down the rest in record time and got a good
| taste of the power of apt-get.

Yeah, that's good :-).

| My point earlier was that without a network enabled machine all bets
| are off.

Pretty much, unless you have everything you want on some other media.

FYI,
There are primarily 2 ways of getting a NIC to be operational on a
Linux system.  Method #1: compile the driver you need directly in the
kernel.  Then when it boots it will identify the hardware and you're
good to go.  Method #2: compile all the drivers as modules so that
regardless of the user's hardware setup the driver is available, even
though they have to choose it for themself.  The common way to build a
general-purpose kernel for other people is Method #2.  This is what
you had on your cds.  The "idepci" flavor of the install disks choose
method #1, but obviously limit themselves to a subset of all hardware
configurations.  You can see the tradeoffs there.

-D

--

Folly delights a man who lacks judgement,
but a man of understanding keeps a straight course.