Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

    "Harry" == Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

    Harry> Well, I got X working in my fresh woody install, but there
    Harry> are a few rinkles.  1) I want to boot to console mode and
    Harry> call x with startx.

Choose a runlevel that does not use X (I use 2). Rename the files in
/etc/rc2.d/ (if you chose level 2) that start the X daemons (gdm/kdm
or whatever you have installed) so that, for example, S20gdm is now
K20gdm. Edit /etc/inittab so that your default runlevel is 2. You
probably know exactly what I'm talking about.....

    Harry> Currently, I get popped right into X.  I thought this could
    Harry> be contolled by setting the defalult run level /etc/inittab
    Harry> But I see nothing in there that looks likely.

Debian sets all "normal, multiuser" run levels to be the same by
default.

    Harry> In fact it claims the default is runlevel 2.  Or is
    Harry> runlevel 2 X.  I don't think so.

    Harry> In my redhat dealings it was possible to set default to
    Harry> runlevel 5 which force boot to bring up X.  setting
    Harry> runlevel 3 gave you a console login.

    Harry> Where is this choice made on debian?

By the system admin, who edits the stuff in /etc/rcX.d/ as far as I
know (I'm relatively new to Debian).

Cheers!
Shyamal