Re: Xf864 config, and LCD flat panel dispalys?

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:54:03PM -0500, stan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 10:29:29AM -0600, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> > * stan (stanb@awod.com) spake thusly:
> > > Just bit the bullet and ordered a nice flat panel LCD display for my wifes
> > > new Debian "testing" workstation.
> > >
> > > I presently have that machine set up in my lab area, thru a kvm switch to a
> > > 19" monitor.
> > >
> > > How can I configure X to work with the new display?
> >
> > Same way you configured it for the old one. IME X v.4 works
> > with them without any (well, almost) configuration.
> >
> Mmm, well that's part of the problem. The way I configured the old one was
> during the Debian install, and I'm not certain how to get back to re-runing
> the configuration dialog.

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

> I have edited the Xf4 config file by hand since then to fix some issues
> with the mouse, and resolution, but I could easily replicate those changes
> on a freshly generated one.

I do not know which Debian you are running. In the sid version
(possibly Woody), you should be able to get away with no manual
editing of the config file unless you are running a non-PC or have a
really strange configuration.

> Also, does it probe the dislplay? That is I know it does for new monitors,
> do LCD flat panels also have support for this? If so, then I guess I need
> to wait for it to actually arive to do anything.

Some card/driver combinations will probe. AFAIK, the nvidia driver
probes DVI-D panels and ignores any manually configured range
specifications. Others may be different.