Re: Installing kernel-image-2.4.17-k7

>>"Bill" == Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> writes:

 Bill> I think those are clear, now that the parts are making more
 Bill> sense to me.  It might be helpful to show the lilo line in the
 Bill> first message box,

	Well, the first message is spit out before we have determined
 what boot loader is being used. See, the first message should be
 output to all users, whether or not they use lilo (silo, quik, palo,
 vmelilo, yaboot, zipl, grub, or nettrom are the other loaders that
 kernel-package tries to support -- pardon me if I missed a
 couple). The second message is lilo specific.

 Bill> and maybe say what "an initrd kernel image" means.  But, it's

	Hmm.
You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version $version)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an INITial
Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use that for
booting).

 Bill> I'm not exactly clear what installing from a package does --
 Bill> copies the image to /boot, sets up the symlinks, copies the
 Bill> modules to /lib/modules.  I guess it also let's you manage the
 Bill> compiled kernel as a package.

	That's most of it. It does take the tedium out of the process
 of compiling kernels as well (which was the primary motivation, back
 when I had a 386 and compiling a kernel took most of the disk space
 and an evening, and having to go back since you forgot step 3 was a
 royal pain).

	manoj
--
 It's the RINSE CYCLE!!  They've ALL IGNORED the RINSE CYCLE!!