Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

> Well, I got X working in my fresh woody install, but there are a few
> rinkles.
> 1) I want to boot to console mode and call x with startx.
>
> Currently, I get popped right into X.
> I thought this could be contolled by setting the defalult run level
> /etc/inittab  But I see nothing in there that looks likely.
>
> In fact it claims the default is runlevel 2.  Or is runlevel 2 X.  I
> don't think so.

It is 2:

/tmp$ grep -A1 '# The default runlevel.' /etc/inittab
# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:
/tmp$

> In my redhat dealings it was possible to set default to runlevel 5
> which force boot to bring up X.  setting runlevel 3 gave you a console
> login.
>
> Where is this choice made on debian?

Debian does not use runlevel in order to differentiate between a system
that runs X and one that does not.

There are several ways to get you booted to a console. Assuming you are
booted to xdm (need to key in username+passwd), you can add a hash
character ('#') in front of the line that begins with :0 in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. That is, have it changed to something like:

    #:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

You might want to look at /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz for more
information about it (`How do I stop xdm from starting at boot?').

--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(at-no-spam)bezeqint.net