Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

You must have a display manager installed (e.g. xdm, gdm ,kdm, wdm, etc)

If you remove it (apt-get remove xdm), you will not be popped into X

Runlevel 2 is the debian standard. The init files are in /etc/init.d (corresponding to RH's /etc/rc.d/init.d)

TRS

Harry Putnam wrote:

Well, I got X working in my fresh woody install, but there are a few
rinkles. 1) I want to boot to console mode and call x with startx.

Currently, I get popped right into X.
I thought this could be contolled by setting the defalult run level /etc/inittab But I see nothing in there that looks likely.

In fact it claims the default is runlevel 2.  Or is runlevel 2 X.  I
don't think so.

In my redhat dealings it was possible to set default to runlevel 5
which force boot to bring up X.  setting runlevel 3 gave you a console
login.
Where is this choice made on debian?