Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

> In my redhat dealings it was possible to set default to runlevel 5
> which force boot to bring up X.  setting runlevel 3 gave you a console
> login.
>
> Where is this choice made on debian?

runlevels do not affect Debian.  We have a different philosohphy than RedHat.
In Debian, any installed package is assumed to have been installed on purpose
by the admin.  This means that when you install a package it is ready to run
and in the case of daemons actually running.  In Redhat the kitchen sink is
installed and it is your job to enable and disable the items as desired.

At a command prompt as root do 'dpkg --purge xdm'.  This will remove xdm and
let you start X by hand.  otherwise, yes, look at /etc/init.d/xdm and tweak as
desired.