Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com> writes:

> > In my redhat dealings it was possible to set default to runlevel 5
> > which force boot to bring up X.  setting runlevel 3 gave you a console
> > login.
> >
> > Where is this choice made on debian?
> >

> runlevels do not affect Debian.  We have a different philosohphy than RedHat.
> In Debian, any installed package is assumed to have been installed on purpose
> by the admin.  This means that when you install a package it is ready to run
> and in the case of daemons actually running.  In Redhat the kitchen sink is
> installed and it is your job to enable and disable the items as desired.
>
> At a command prompt as root do 'dpkg --purge xdm'.  This will remove
> xdm and let you start X by hand.  otherwise, yes, look at
> /etc/init.d/xdm and tweak as desired.

Debian as installed doesn't differentiate between runlevels 2-5 but
you can certainly set it up to do so. For example I have /etc/inittab
set to runlevel 3 by default, which starts up wdm and thus X, and I've
set up runlevel 2 to boot without wdm and X. Another common
configuration would be to leave out loading of the network at certain
run levels. I find this very useful, especially if you've upgraded
something like your graphics board or network card.

You do need to set this up yourself in Debian. The update-rc.d tool
can help here "man update-rc.d".

Gary