Re: Enough time wasted, moving on

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 05:25:01PM -0600, Timothy R. Butler wrote:

| > You can try installing a base potato system, then dist-upgrade to
| > woody.  This has worked for me on several systems.
|
|   Just out of curiosity, if someone is planning to use Woody, wouldn't it be
| easier to get the Woody netinst CD, and go directly to Woody? I didn't
| encounter any problems with it in my experience at least...

Dunno.  I haven't tried the woody installer, so I don't know if it
works.  I don't think the installer was even "released" at the time I
did my last install.  (the last time I did a dist-upgrade was on an
already installed system, but it was a fairly small system)

|   BTW, to the original poster: Don't bother with DSELECT. Install the base
| system, and then once you get it working, use a decent tool like KPackage in
| KDE for installing more packages. Oh, or aptitude seems nice too.

Slight problem there.  If you stop after the base system, how do you
run KPackage?  :-).  First he'll have to apt-get install X, KDE, and
KPackage, and get X working.  Personally I just use 'apt-get' directly
(and 'apt-cache' and 'dpkg' as suits the task).  If you like, though,
go ahead and use one of the many console or X front ends.

-D

--

He who walks with the wise grows wise,
but a companion of fools suffers harm.