fetchmail? screwed up

Cannot fetch my mail from my dial-up internet provider.  After running
Fetchmail, the only reponse is something like "Faulty authorization:
Query error 3."  (A few weeks ago I switched from potato to woody.)
My .fetchmailrc file reads as follows:

poll wdn.com proto IMAP id "id" password "password".  I haven't changed
this in quite a while.

relevant mail programs:  MTA = exim; MUA = mutt;
I suspect (without much confidence) one or more of the following problems:

bad hookup with smtp, contents of exim.conf, fetchmail config, one of
the many config data in /etc/.

I will gladly supply as much additional info as is required.

Thanks.

sam