Re: OT: scsi vs ide: some data

How many drives can be exercised, at the same time on a SCSI channel, before it is saturated?

How many drives can be exercised, at the same time on a IDE channel, before it is saturated?

For example, copying files between drives on the same Channel.

Brian Nelson wrote:
Matt Garman <garman@raw-sewage.net> writes:

[snip]

These (completely un-rigorous) tests seem to suggest that the
performance margin between SCSI and IDE isn't as great as the price
margin.  Depending on the feedback I get, I might do some more
testing.  Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/thoughts on how I can
achieve some more data?  E.g., other methods, other programs,
...anything that doesn't involve buying stuff :)

Although the IDE/SCSI performance margin has narrowed significantly in
the past few years, SCSI still has other advantages, such as allowing up
to 15 devices per channel.  My main workstation has 7 SCSI devices
which, if they were IDE, would require 4(!) IDE channels.

Performance isn't everything...

= hanasaki@hanaden.com                                          =
=     Spam : Unhealthy and High in Sodium and Cholesterol       =