Re: rsh

* FU (marktse@yahoo.com) [020228 12:10]:
> Setting up exim (3.33-1.1) ...
> Error: system's FQDN hostname
> (pa1_2.mildred.cpsc.ucalgary.ca) doesn't
> match
> RFC1035 syntax; cannot configure the mail system.
> dpkg: error processing exim (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error
> exit status 1

> I suspect it's the problem of the FQDN in my the
> machines of my cluster. If so, how to setup an
> appropriate FQDN for my machines which are assigned a
> private ip address (192.168.1.x).

It's probably complaining because an underscore ('_') isn't a valid
character in a domain name.

If you're using private IP addresses, you probably don't want to use
"real" names. What I mean by that is that since your addresses aren't
routable anyway, you should probably use names that are very obviously
not "real Internet names." Use an extension like .lan .localnet or
.internal, rather than something like .ca, which looks like I should be
able to look it up and get an address. Of course, this is just my
suggestion for an internal net; you are free to use whatever names you
want (so long as there's no underscores in them!)

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/