Re: rsh

marktse@yahoo.com writes:
>   While I was installing the rsh-server, I encountered
> the following problems.

> Setting up exim (3.33-1.1) ...
> Error: system's FQDN hostname (pa1_2.mildred.cpsc.ucalgary.ca) doesn't match
> RFC1035 syntax; cannot configure the mail system.
> dpkg: error processing exim (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

RFC 1035 [1] says that host names can contain letters, digits, and
hyphens, must begin with a letter, and must not end with a hyphen.
pa1_2 as a host name doesn't meet these conditions; try changing your
host name to pa1-2 or something similar and running 'dpkg --configure
--pending'.

Without exim configured, you don't have a mail transport agent (MTA,
"a program that moves mail off of your computer"), and so all sorts of
other things don't work.

[1] ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1035.txt [2]
[2] Nifty Galeon feature: you can set a bookmark for
    ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc%s.txt with a nickname of "rfc".
    Then you can type "rfc 1035" or whatever into the address bar to
    get an RFC.  Also useful for finding MBTA bus schedules, or other
    things where URLs can be easily constructed.

	-- Abra Mitchell