Re: How to add second network card?-solved

Thanks for everyones help, solution inline.

I found the bencfg.exe file for the card at www.bocareasearch.com. they still have all the tools achived there. This is for the BOCALANcard TP, Ben 110, AMD PCnet-ISA+ which has the AM79C961KC chip.

| > You could stick the card in a DOS box, or make a boot floppy to run
| > DOS from.  Boot DOS from the floppy, then put the floppy with the util
| > on it in and run it, then reboot back to debian.
| | This sounds pretty simple. I knew this had to be a pretty simple | solution but couldn't really think it through. Thanks for telling me | what should have been obvious.

I found a windows 95 boot disk which got me into DOS so I could run bencfg.exe. I setup the second card by selecting io=0x320, irq 9 and dma 6. irq 9 was the next available. Only one card was allowed in the machine at a time but the other card was fine so I just removed it to do the configuration. After shuting down and putting the second card in the box, I used modconf to update the module/driver lance and entered io=0x300,0x320 for the modprobe. This method updates the configuration files properly just like the initial install. Upon reboot the module assigned eth0 to 0x300 and eth1 to 0x320 which is perfect.

Now everything is great.

Eric

You're welcome.  Here's a few more notes -- last night I moved that
EA-201 into my soon-to-be-router box.  To make the DOS system, fire up
windows or dos and
    format /s a:
now reboot with the floppy in the drive and you'll have DOS.  Not
much, but enough to put the setup floppy in and modify the EEPROM.

Most of my difficulty came from software that is "too smart" -- it
wouldn't let me set the IO and IRQ I wanted on one of the NICs because
"it conflicts".  Never mind that the only reason the NIC was in that
box was because my router box has no floppy drive!  I also found that
the NICs had half-duplex set by default.  (why it doesn't
auto-configure, I don't know)  I changed that to full-duplex but my
switch still shows it as half-duplex.  Oh well.  (oh, yeah, and I ran
the util on each card separately, I'd kinda like to see what it would
do if both NICs were in the box at the same time, then send a rant to
Netgear)

After sticking the two NICs back into the router box, the kernel would
only find one of them.  I have the 'ne' driver built in to the kernel,
so mucking with modules.conf leads nowhere.  The trick, as google
showed in the Linux-Ethernet HOWTO, is to have 2 ether= arguments in
the command line.  For the config I gave the NICs, it looks like :
    ether=11,0x300,eth0 ether=15,0x320,eth1
Curiously enough, if I left the IRQ off of the second card, it came up
with 32 (not possible, I don't think) and would get watchdog timeouts
when trying to bring up the interface.  Now both cards are working
beautifully.

To summarize :
    1)  make a DOS system ("format /s a:")
    2)  boot it and run the DOS util to configure the NICs, be sure
        and use different IO for each and spare IRQs
    3)  put the proper 'ether=' args in your bootloader or specify the
        IO (and IRQ) parameters in modules.conf[1]

HTH,
-D

[1]  the Right Way is to make a file in /etc/modutils/ to store the
     config and run 'update-modules'