Re: How to add second network card?

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 02:59:07PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
| dman wrote:
|
| >On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:46:28PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
| >| Hi,
| >|
| >| I'm trying to get a second identical network card to work and need some
| >| assistance. The card is a AMD PCnet-ISA+ (a pnp card) that uses the
| >| lance.o module. When installing I was able to get one card working by
| >| adding io=0x300. The module assigns IRQ 3 and DMA 5 when loaded. I am
| >| using DHCP to get an IP address for eth0. I also tried both cards
| >| individually so I know both cards work. Here is what I tried so far.
| >
| >Did you try each card with base IO of 0x300?
|
| I tried both with io=0x300 as set up from the install but only
| individually(one card in the box at a time). Should I try modconf to
| see if I can get one to respond on other than than 0x300 or do I
| have to have to have a DOS utility to set the second card with a
| different base io?
[...]
| >| I don't know if I have to reset the setting on the card so one card
| >| will look for 0x320 or what but found something on the web to that
| >| effect.
| >
| >Yes, you need to configure one card to use a different IO address than
| >the other.  (they can share IRQs, but that hurts performance)

Since the cards are PnP, you'll probably need to use a DOS utility to
change the card's settings.  Perhaps you can get isapnp or some linux
tool to do it, but I haven't tried.

| Okay, if I'm not running DOS, is there anyway to run it so I can
| configure to second card without loading windows? Am I missing
| something?

You could stick the card in a DOS box, or make a boot floppy to run
DOS from.  Boot DOS from the floppy, then put the floppy with the util
on it in and run it, then reboot back to debian.

-D

--

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
        --Jim Elliot