Re: dh-client setup problems

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 05:32:53PM -0600, hanasaki wrote:
| See below for dpkg -l pump dhcp-client.  Not sure what it means :|

| ii  pump                                        0.8.11-3
| pn  dhcp-client                                 <none>

As the top lines of the output say, the 'ii' means that you want pump
installed, and it actually is installed.  The 'pn' means that you want
dhcp-client purged, and it is, in fact, not installed.

| What are the pro/con of dhcp-client vs pump?

pump is made by RH (IIRC), dh-client is made by ISC (same group who
makes dhcpd and bind).  I've heard complaints in the past of pump not
working.  Anyways, I figure that the folks who make dhcpd must know
something about DHCP, and why not use their client if I'm using their
server?

| dhcpcd is a dead tool?

Looks like it.

One problem I had with it -- it caches the info (namely IP address)
then next time it runs it asks for that same IP.  This is good and
nice, if the box isn't mobile.  With a laptop that moved from work to
school to home I would have to manually remove the cache to stop
dhcpcd from timing out and giving me no IP at all.  Hmm, I haven't run
dh-client in enough scenarios to really test if it is an issue there
too or not.

-D

--

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us.