Re: Disabling discard, daytime, time

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:59:41AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
| On 26-Feb-2002 Balazs Javor wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > Are the internal services discard, daytime and time run from
| > inetd critical to the system?
| >
| > I'm trying to close as many ports as possible on my machine,
| > so I was wondering if anything would break if I'd commented them out.
|
| You can actually uninstall inetd and have a working system.

Or install xinetd and add "disable = yes" to those services.

(does that mean that xinetd takes over the port but disallows
connections?  I wonder ...)

Still, a firewall is the best way to prevent connections to ports you
don't want to use.  If the packets are dropped at the firewall, then
the daemon will never see them anyways.

-D

--

Misfortune pursues the sinner,
but prosperity is the reward for the righteous.