dh-client setup problems

Folks -

I recently got Time Warner Road Runner installed. It seems to be a straight forward dhcp install but I'm having a problem getting dh-client running. I've manageed to make it work with the same box running NT, as well as an old Macintosh I have, so I'm pretty sure it's my dhcp setup that's causing the problem (currently it runs pppoe/dsl just fine)

I've been through the man pages and the dhcpcd how-to and I think I've covered the basics, but when I run dhclient (or dhclient eth1) I get no connectivity, no messages, nothing. I'm currently at a loss as to where to look.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm quite frustrated at this point in time trying doing something that should be so simple I'm sure I've been hit with the stupid stick.

Thanks.

- Steve
  Stephen Nosal
  New York, NY

System details:
kernel 2.2.17
mostly unstable packages
dhcp-client p15-7 (testing)
Dell PIII 500 256MB

here's my /etc/network/interfaces file:
	# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
	# The loopback interface
	auto lo
	iface lo inet loopback
	# The first network card
	auto eth0
	iface eth0 inet static
	      address 192.168.0.1
	      netmask 255.255.255.0
	      network 192.168.0.0
	      broadcast 192.168.0.255
	# The second network card - connected to ISP modem
	auto eth1
	iface eth1 inet dhcp

My dhclient.conf file is blank.

I had a few problems with IPMASQ  so I've been disabling it during initial setup with /etc/init.d/ipmasq stop. ipchains -L returns:
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
Chain forward (policy DENY):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):