Re: Passwordless connection to ssh-nonfree 1.2.27

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 05:46:32PM +0100, Ulf Rompe wrote:
> This works for interactive use. But it doesn't fit the needs of cron
> jobs. OK, you *can* use ssh-agent withing cron jobs, but you give up
> more security than you gain using such a hack.
>
> So if you need an ssh connection within a cron job using a blank
> passphrase is absolutely the right way. *But* you should be careful
> regarding some points:

I entirely agree, and I use passwordless SSH keys for cron jobs that
need root access.  With the restrictions you mentioned, it can be done
in quite a secure manner.  However, the original poster gave no
indication that they wanted to use their keys for anything other than an
interactive login session.

> Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings,
> they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

This quote brought a great smile to my face, as I prepare for what
promises to be a long, dull meeting this afternoon...

noah