Re: Best player for Divx, AFS, AVI etc.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 09:43:50PM -0500, Bob Thibodeau wrote:
> I also like vlc. Some files will play better in one
> program while others work in another. I keep
> vlc, mplayer, xanim and xine around.
>
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 02:36:38PM -0500, Sean wrote:
> > As many others have mentioned, mplayer is what I like the best by far. I
> > would suggest grabbing the latest CVS, I've never had a problem with it
> > not building. With mplayer you also get mencoder if you want to rip DVDs
> > to avi, or whatever. Oh, and it's also skinnable. I like the neutron
> > skin the best at the moment.

I just noticed this thread, so if this point has been made I
apologize!

I use xine for most of my multimedia needs.  I works with mpeg and avi
and asf files if you have the win32 libs.  It's still somewhat beta,
though, and does tend to lock up from time to time (nothing "killall
-9 xine" won't fix).

I've got a Matrox Millenium g450 card, and I'm running XFree 4.x with
the XV stuff.  This makes for really good performance with xine.  For
camparison, I used to use XMMS with the smpeg plugin.  Viewing an mpeg
in xmms really taxed my CPU (according to gkrellm).  With xine+XV,
however, viewing mpegs uses almost no CPU (again, whatching gkrellm).

Good luck.

Matt

--
Matt Garman, matt@raw-sewage.net
``I ain't never seen no whiskey, the blues made my sloppy drunk!''