Re: Best player for Divx, AFS, AVI etc.

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 10:04, Balazs Javor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best solution on linux to play most
> movie formats? (doesn't need to be a single app)
>
> I've been slowly trying to be able to perform most task on
> my Woody box that I used to do on Window$. But I'm still
> struggling a bit with playing various multimedia files.
>
> I would like to be able to play any downloaded
> avi, mpg, asf, mov, vob and divx 3 and 4 files if possible...
>
> I've tried aviplay but with little success. On some files
> there was sound but no picture (or garbled picture).
> And allthough it says it should be able to play asf it didn't
> seem to work for me either.
> (I've read the readme according to which additional codecs might be
> needed, but as far as I can tell I've installed all plugins, and
> they seem to contain all the mentioned codecs.)
>
> I would be most greatfull for suggestions regarding what's the
> most effective way to play the above mentioned formats!
>
> Many thanks for your help in advance!
> best regards,
> Balazs

As many others have mentioned, mplayer is what I like the best by far. I
would suggest grabbing the latest CVS, I've never had a problem with it
not building. With mplayer you also get mencoder if you want to rip DVDs
to avi, or whatever. Oh, and it's also skinnable. I like the neutron
skin the best at the moment.

I would also mention that you stay far away from precompiled version of
mplayer, it is really designed to be compiled from scratch on the
machine it's running on.

My 2c.

Sean

--