Re: any ideas? no network traffic gets through

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, will trillich wrote:

>[didn't get any response on this last time -- i'm reposting with
>a new subject line hoping to get some assistance... thanks]
>
>there's probably something simple that's wrong here, but my
>3c509 connection won't cooperate no my potato system. it'll
>respond only to self-pings; no other traffic seems to get in or
>out.

I was dealing to this very kind of card the other day, and I have two
things to say.

Go to 3Com's site, and get the DOS driver disk (Disk 2), make a DOS
bootable disk, and stick all the files in the root of the self-extracting
archive (you can decompress under Linux using lha, or dosemu), and boot
from the floppy. Run the program PNPDSABL.BAT to disable Plug and Pray,
and then run the E3C5X9CFG.EXE program, and change/note the IO and IRQ
values. You should also run the tests.

If it still doesn't work in Linux, cat /proc/interrupts and take note of
the 2nd column (if your device is sharing interrupts, ignore this). If its
zero, then no interrupts have been received. Send some pings to your
interface from outside the box, and reexamine this statistic. If its still
zero, your card may be dropping interrupts. The testing program will show
this.

A symptom of this fatal condition is that the lights on the hub flicker,
meaning data is sent, and the ping target gets the frames, and sends them
back, but nothing happens.

PS. Send the dmesg output regarding the 3c509 module load.

Hope this helps.

Cameron Kerr
--
cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz