SOLVED Re: any ideas? no network traffic gets through

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 03:41:43PM +1300, Cameron Kerr wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, will trillich wrote:
> >there's probably something simple that's wrong here, but my
> >3c509 connection won't cooperate no my potato system. it'll
> >respond only to self-pings; no other traffic seems to get in or
> >out.

> Go to 3Com's site, and get the DOS driver disk (Disk 2), make a DOS
> bootable disk, and stick all the files in the root of the self-extracting
> archive (you can decompress under Linux using lha, or dosemu), and boot
> from the floppy. Run the program PNPDSABL.BAT to disable Plug and Pray,
> and then run the E3C5X9CFG.EXE program, and change/note the IO and IRQ
> values. You should also run the tests.
>
> If it still doesn't work in Linux, cat /proc/interrupts and take note of
> the 2nd column (if your device is sharing interrupts, ignore this). If its
> zero, then no interrupts have been received. Send some pings to your
> interface from outside the box, and reexamine this statistic. If its still
> zero, your card may be dropping interrupts. The testing program will show
> this.
>
> A symptom of this fatal condition is that the lights on the hub flicker,
> meaning data is sent, and the ping target gets the frames, and sends them
> back, but nothing happens.
>
> PS. Send the dmesg output regarding the 3c509 module load.

thanks, cameron -- the 3c5x9cfg.exe was interesting. nice
utility there! but apparently a secondary ethernet card (network
everywhere nc100 v2.1) was conflicting somehow.  very odd
situation -- it had been working under linux (3c509 connections
were fine) under linux and then it worked fine when rebooting
under qdos (only the nc100 worked for windon't) and then quit
working for linux after the next reboot.

solved: no more nc100, no more windo~1. :)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #95 from Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx>
:
>From vc1, left alt + left arrow will bring you to the xserver,
as will right alt + <F2>.  The right alt key doesn't work in
X11 though, only on the linux console.