sending a mail message to a new user when account has been created

Dear People,

I'm adminstering a small Debian system and I want to know how to
automatically send new users a README in the form of an email when their
account has been created. What would be an elegant way of doing this? I
did a perfunctory search for this in Google but didn't come up with
anything. I can think of some not very elegant methods, but I'm sure this
has come up before, so there must be a good way of handling it.

                                        Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.