Re: CD-RW as user; newbie question.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:44:41 -0500 (EST)
Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> wrote:

>  Maybe I'm missing something, but there is already a group called cdrom,
>  and my impression is that is group is intended for writing operations to
>  cds.
>
>  faheem ~>ls -la /dev/scd0
>  brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Apr 14  2001 /dev/scd0

My impression is that the cdrom group is used just to allow the user to
read the device. Otherwise you'd be a member of the disk group, which is
a BAAD idea. CD writing is a special operation that isn't a part of
any mainstream kernel (though I remember reading about some exotic
packet writing project that would allow you to turn your CDRW into a
better and bigger floppy).