Re: Howto change ownership of device under devfs

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 04:07:01PM -0500, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
| On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:04:44PM -0600, Michael Heldebrant wrote:

| > I created a file in the conf.d directory for my system that contains the
| > following lines:
| >
| > REGISTER ^tts/0                 PERMISSIONS root.nut 0660
| > REGISTER ^ttyS0                 PERMISSIONS root.nut 0660
|
| I have tried this. After running update-devfsd or reboot, /dev/tts/0 ends
| up as root.nut 0660. However, the symlink /dev/ttyS0 is still root.root
| 0555.

It doesn't matter.  Symlinks' permissions don't matter at all, it is
the permission of the file they point to that matters.

Just try it with ordinary files.

| Is there something else that needs to be done to files in /etc/devfs to
| make /dev/ttyS0 owned by root.nut with mode 0660?

Ideally you aren't going to use /dev/ttyS0 anymore since you have
/dev/tts/0.

(realistically, though, the compatibility links are important for an
unknown amount of time)

-D

--

He who walks with the wise grows wise,