Re: Ask Slashdot: How Well Does Windows Cluster? Turned around

Hi,

linux-ha.org does very good stuff for high availability, though currently
only monitors the status of nodes rather than the resources on the nodes.

Red Hat is apparently working on their own version of it.

IPVS is load balancing stuff. Basically it allows you to turn a machine
into a load balancer via a range of options. There's a good HOWTO on this
at http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.html
whilst the main site is:
www.linuxvirtualserver.org
The type of load balancing you implement depends massively on the hardware
and the network that you have. All the details are in the HOWTOs.

If you want to do resource monitoring then you need to use something like
mons and write your own scripts.

Useful resources:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Documents.html
http://www.linux-ha.org/#Links

Be wary about the HA howto which is from '97: much has changed since then.
If in doubt, join either the HA mailing list or the LVSP mailing lists
(or both). Neither are high volume.

Have fun!

Matthew