Re: ps/2 mouse with serial adapter: no go

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 07:12:55PM +0000, schuetz@mind.net wrote:
| I cannot get any ps/2 mouse to work thru a serial adapter.

| Is there something else I should be looking at?

Unless you paid a lot of money for your adapter, it is nothing more
than some wires between two differently shaped connectors.  It is
critical for the devices on each end of the adapter to use the same
signalling mechanisms.  This is why only _some_ USB devices can be
plugged into PS/2 ports.  My mouse is an example -- it has both USB
and PS/2 implemented in it, so physically connecting the plug to
either interface works.  For a mouse or keyboard that only works with
one signalling mechanism, it will only work with that same type of
port, regardless of the shape of the connector.

Do you have a reason to not plug the mouse into the PS/2 port?

-D

--

The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.