Re: lilo problem

Hello,

Due to some workload I've only had the time to look at this now.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 05:12:12AM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya
>
> if it hands on "ramdisk"... remove that initrd line...
> and/or make sure the file exists as typed

Wel, I removed the initrd line from lilo.conf, and redhat boots fine,
but when I try to boot Sid I get a kernel panic, "no init found... try
passing init= ...etc".

This is my lilo.conf:

[root@webworm /root]# cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=nieuwekernel

image=/boot/2.4.17
label=nieuwekernel
read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19
label=DebianSid
read-only
root=/dev/hdc1

other=/dev/hda1
label=dos

> initrd is not needed if your kernel has all the hardware
> drivers needed to boot...

So this explains why I get that error?  Because it is still the standard
kernel from Sid?

<for to install make, and want to install it>

> if you're referring to redhats "simple install"..
> 	- just boot the cdrom and tell it upgrade
> 	and it will go thru what you got ant ask you
> 	what else you want

No, I'm referring to Debians install, when you can choosse: Simple or
advanced install. ;)  How do I get that screen back?  Or, what packages
do I have to install to get make etc?  (I guess gcc ...?)

> 	rh is such a pita aint it???

Yes!  But let me explain, when I got my new pc and started university I
wanted GNU/Linux... and redhat was the only one I knew.  After a couple
of months I got to know Debian (they used it in my studentgroup (don't
know the right translation...), and I wiped windows out at home and
installed debian.  On my new pc I had suffered 4 months to configure my
dualhead that I didn't dare to install debian yet.. but now I bought a
new hd; so the time has come to switch to debian :).

Thanks for the help up till now, I hope you can help me with the rest :)

Cheers,
--
Rudy Gevaert - rudy@zeus.rug.ac.be  - http://www.webworm.org
             - keyserverID=24DC49C6 - http://www.zeus.rug.ac.be

"While one person hesitates because he feels inferior,
the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior"
        -- Henry C. Link