Re: (OT) chicago

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:20:28AM -0600, Mark S. Reglewski wrote:
|  On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, dman wrote:
|
| > The details aren't finished yet, but it looks like I'll be working in
| > Chicago (Elgin, actually) next quarter.  Is anyone here in the Chicago
| > area?
|
| I live about three miles from the Loop.  Dman, you may be a fine
| Unix/Linux hacker, but you need to develop your map-reading skills.
| Elgin is about forty miles NW of the Loop, and few Chicagoans or
| Elginians would consider it a suburb of Chicago at that distance.
| It's at the edge of my road map, next to the legend "Here There Be
| Dragons".

:-) I looked it up on maps.yahoo.com.  I had no idea where Elgin was,
and I saw Chicago near it.  The zoom can have an effect on perspective
as well, and I didn't look at the scale.

I was in Boy Scouts when I was younger -- I can read a map when I need
to :-).  Ok, taking a closer look, yahoo says it is 41 miles and will
take 51 minutes with most of the route on I-90 and I-94.  At a zoom
level of 6, Elgin is just a hair away from the end of the yellow blob
that I presume is supposed to be the city.  Hmm, no key on this map.
Maybe the bright yellow means something else?

Thanks for the tip though.

| If you don't have a car out here, you won't actually be *in* Chicago
| very much, though it's an easy drive on I-90 if you do.

I plan on having a car, but I don't know if I'll be driving around
much.

| I hope you make it out here.  Street food is cheap and edible.  More
| pizzerias than people.  Do they have "Italian beef" sandwiches where
| you come from?  If not, you'll have to try them, they're delicious.

I'm not familiar with that name of sandwich.  (I'm from Rochester, NY)

-D

--

If your life is a hard drive,
Christ can be your backup.